Interesting facts about peppers are a great opportunity to learn more about vegetables (read: what is the most popular vegetable in the world?). The fruits of this plant can be bitter, sweet or very spicy. In dried form, they are used as seasonings for first and second dishes.
So, here are the most interesting facts about peppers.
16 interesting facts about peppers
- It is believed that the first people who managed to domesticate peppers were the ancient Aztecs and Mayans. Curiously enough, they used hot peppers as an alternative to salt and sweet peppers as a vegetable.
- The most pungent varieties of pepper are called “chili peppers,” which means “red” in Aztec language.
- Red pepper contains a lot of vitamins A and C and B vitamins. It is also rich in potassium, magnesium and iron
- Pink pepper is made from the fruit of Peruvian or Brazilian pepper. It is worth noting that it should not be used in large quantities because of its high toxicity.
- Pepper is present in the famous spices “curry” and “hopely suneli”.
- The seeds and veins are the spiciest part of the pepper.
- An interesting fact is that certain types of peppers are so hot that they can burn the skin in contact with it. Because of this, you should wear gloves when handling the fruit.
- If you accidentally bite a hot chili pepper, you should not try to drink it with water, because it will not bring any results. Instead, you should drink milk (yogurt) or “break” the spiciness with some sour fruit like lemon.
- Some varieties of canaries are fed cayenne pepper to make their red plumage even brighter.
- Red peppers can also be grown at home. To get quality fruits, the plant needs regular watering and periodic fertilizing of the soil.
- Did you know that hot peppers are used to make infusions to stimulate the appetite and normal digestion?
- Pepper extracts are used in the production of patches and ointments. Scientists claim the effectiveness of red pepper in the fight against cancer.
- Allspice is popular not only in cooking. It is also used in the manufacture of perfumes, liquors, and soaps.
- The fact that chili peppers can cause gastritis or stomach ulcers is a myth. In fact, on the contrary, it helps to kill the bacteria that cause ulcers.
- The hottest pepper in the world is considered to be the Habanero pepper.
- Red peppers are used for shocks and heart attacks, as well as for fainting states.
Also interesting: Different Colors Of Cheese and Interesting Facts About Oranges
Composition and calories of bell peppers
Bell peppers contain B vitamins, vitamins A, C (the maximum amount among peppers), E, PP and K. Minerals: potassium, calcium, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, copper, manganese, zinc and iron.
The caloric value is 20-29.5 kcal per 100 grams of product.
Health benefits of sweet peppers
With the daily use of bell peppers can get rid of swelling, dermatitis. Peppers should be included in the diet of people suffering from diabetes, insomnia. Rutin (vitamin P) contained in peppers improves the circulatory system, prevents the formation of blood clots. For this reason, it is recommended to eat for the prevention of thrombosis and atherosclerosis.
If you regularly consume sweet peppers, then the condition of the skin, as well as hair and nails will improve. The content of coumaric and chlorogenic acids in green fruits and lycopene in red ones prevents the development of cancer.
Peppers are useful for avitaminosis, anemia, osteoporosis, bleeding gums. The useful substances that make up the pepper stimulates the secretion of gastric juice, which improves digestion and bowel peristalsis. In addition, bell peppers are used in the manufacture of cosmetics. To preserve youth, beauty and health, it is recommended to include regularly in your diet.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sweet Peppers
What are the health benefits of sweet peppers?
Sweet peppers contain vitamins C, B1, B2, B9, P, PP and carotene, so people suffering from depression, diabetes, as well as memory impairment, insomnia, loss of strength should include peppers in the menu. For the amount of vitamin C, pepper surpasses lemons and black currants.
Can bunnies eat sweet peppers?
Red bell peppers can be given, but peppers are not used as a single feed, but only in combination with other foods in the diet.
Which bell peppers are sweet?
Ripe bell peppers are usually sweet, so you have to buy them yourself. Visually and to the touch, the pepper should look “juicy” and the color of the bell pepper is always bright and rich, this means that the pepper is ripe